The Leadership 2020 program helps participants understand and develop their individual leadership capacity. The Apprentice Circle program is about taking that learning to the next level and applying leadership capacity to a project in your organization or community with the support of a team of facilitators and coaches.
It’s the next step in the evolution of the Leadership 2020 suite of programs. And it’s designed to harness the potential of our graduates in order to create the systems change that BC’s social care sector so badly needs.
Each participant will be challenged to work with their supervisor to think about an issue their organization is trying to address, a change they need to make, or a problem their team is trying to solve. Then, participants will be supported as they apply their learning over 10 months and move forward on that initiative in a way that makes real change in their organization and community.
These initiatives (what we’re calling Community Impact Projects) could include things like:
- Coordinating services for high-risk youth living in small or remote communities with limited access to services.
- Recruiting, preparing, and retaining workers that better reflect client demographics.
- Enhancing cultural agility and fostering cultural safety in service delivery.
- Enacting community-based initiatives from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action.
- Designing healthy transitions for youth leaving care or programs for children and youth with special needs.
- Generating new trauma-informed approaches for refugee families with young children.
Participants will then work together with the support and coaching of the Leadership 2020 hosting team who will help them tap into diverse ways of knowing—including Indigenous ways of knowing—and explore inclusive approaches to social research, community engagement, human-centred design, social innovation, prototyping, change leadership, and developmental evaluation.
We encourage potential participants to talk with their supervisors about how the Apprentice Circle program could help to advance an issue or initiative at their organizations. If you’re not sure if your project “fits” just contact Rebecca at the Federation to arrange a time to talk about how we can make your idea work.