From Acknowledgement to Allyship
Understanding the In Plain Sight Report
Thursday, October 14th
from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM (PST)
The Federation of Community Social Services of BC & Emerging Health Leaders Vancouver
In November of 2020, Dr. Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond released the report, In Plain Sight: Addressing Indigenous-specific Racism and Discrimination in BC Health Care. The report was an independent investigation into and review of Indigenous-specific racism in the provincial health care system.
While the report’s investigation and mandate was specific to the health care sector, its recommendations are very relevant to BC’s community social services sector and include calls to increase access to culturally safe mental health and wellness and substance use services.
Indeed, anti-Indigenous racism isn’t specific to the health care sector; the need for anti-racism, cultural humility, and trauma-informed training, learning, and discussions are very necessary in BC’s community social services sector.
That’s why The Federation has partnered with the Vancouver Chapter of Emerging Health Leaders to host a virtual learning event for our respective members to reflect on the recommendations of the In Plain Sight report and the ramifications for service delivery in both health care and the social services.
The Federation and Emerging Health Leaders understand and agree that our members will benefit from:
Our goal is for all participants to leave this event with a better understanding of how racism manifests in their service delivery areas, confidence in their ability to speak out and be an ally to Indigenous colleagues and community members, and new connections with colleagues from across the sector.
Thursday, October 14th
From 5:00–7:00 PM (PST)
Participation link will be emailed to all registrants.
$29.95 per participant.
Federation Members should note that there will be no October General Meeting following the conference.
1. If you register online and you choose the “pay by check” option, your registration confirmation is your invoice, and payment is due upon receipt. Please ensure that your payment reaches The Federation office PRIOR to the date of the event. If payment is not received in our office by the start of the event, you will be invoiced for your registered amount PLUS a $25.00 administration fee.
2.Registrants who cancel 30+ days prior to the event will receive a refund less $25.00 per person administration fee. Registrants who cancel 15-30 days prior to the event will receive a 50% refund less $25.00 per person administration fee. There will be no refund issued if cancellation occurs within 0-14 days of the event. Relevant dates for each event will be posted on the event registration page.
3. If you register online and choose the “pay by check” option and do not cancel within the above-noted time frames (see #2), you are responsible for the registration fee and will be invoiced accordingly.
4. Registrations are transferable to a different person for the same event. Please contact The Federation office for assistance with this. Registrations are not transferable to another event.
5. Registrations made after the on-line closing date and non-registered at-door arrivals (space permitting) will be invoiced at the full event rate plus a $25.00 per person administration fee.
6. Credit card payment is accepted on-line only and is not accepted at the door.